Finally after weather delays and other issues, the TentShop is up and secured! I still have some additional anchoring to do but I believe it will stay in place this time…I hope!
As you can see in the pic, half the floor is concrete and the other half is a wooden deck type floor. The deck has also settled, but I can level the strongback to it. Now to get the rest of the frames completed along with the strongback and we’re in business!
I was finally able to get everything together and create the first frame piece. I did this with a dad blade on my portable table saw and figured out that the lap joints will be much easier accomplished (and safer) with a router table. More to follow.
So, we talked about the revelation with the placement of the portable carport for the drift boat. I also, finally, have gotten into the shop/shed and started to get it set up as well. Actually, I got a lot done. Still a bit to go though. I’m hoping to make a short video to at least put out some information.
In the end, though, I’m consolidating a lot into the shed/shop and going to be working out of it first for the frame build(s) and once the snow we got melts, I’m going to set up on the deck for the strongback and assembly.
I’m getting nervous because I’m running out of time. I should be able to work through the whole thing in a short amount of time for the most part, but I still have to design and install the interior after that…
I’ll probably at a bare minimum do a temporary installation of the seats, oarlocks and etc. and then build on as I go if I have to, but I really wanted everything done at once.
So, in the midst of my aggravation over the tent needing to be replaced and how best to secure the new one, I happened to look out the side window and had a “Why didn’t I think of that before?” moment.
In the side yard to our house is a concrete pad with a deck platform built on to it that I’ve got slated for later destruction to make room for our future deck project. A quick measurement revealed that it is just right in size for the portable carport, it’s flat and assumed to be level, so none of the worries I’d have with the other location and I can easily and very securely mount it and anchor it down so that there is no concern for the wind anymore!
I guess it never occurred to me before as I had/have a bunch of things on it waiting their turn to be the project of the day and none of them need to stay there. So, I’ll be getting that cleared off tomorrow and maybe possibly getting the tent back up and anchored as well so we can get on with the first step in the boat build; construction of the frame pieces.
At any rate, I’ll be ready to roll with the next video soon.